New Technology Vs The Right Tool for the Job

I've been using my side projects as an excuse to ramp up my knowledge of new technologies for work. And while this is a great thing for work, it isn't always so much a great thing for my side projects. I decided I wanted to improve the application I had written for Veronica to incorporate some of the sorts of changes I had made for Tony. Namely, she has some screens that were always loading entire tables and now that the tables are growing it takes a while for the screens to load.

Before I would have said that the solution was to make the calls asynchronously. Not because it was the right thing, but because it does solve a very small part of the problem and it was the sort of thing I needed to get under my belt for work.

Tony's application is a problematic. There aren't really a lot of bugs, but occasionally errors pop up as a result of doing things asynchronously and the layout is more complicated. The flip-side is Veronica's application, where everything was synchronous had screens that were starting to take forever to load. The compromise was to leave everything asynchronous, but make better use of filtering and load only the top X number of matching results. Now I get near instantaneous results and it works great again, and should work great well into the foreseeable future.

Synchronous and NHibernate is a beautiful thing. Lazy loading is a dream and I can connect directly to my database. I think I got lucky with Veronica's software, I was more in a general learning .Net phase at the time, and I think just happened to end up with the right technology for the job. At the time, I wasn't thinking about the best way to use it necessarily, but looking back at how well it has served her and how easy it is for me to extend that project, I can't help but think that I did something right there which I'm not doing right everywhere else. I don't feel the same about the software for Tony. I have no concerns that I will able to support it, just that it isn't as effortless as my other side project.

Just need to figure out what it is that is working out so much better on the one project vs. the other I guess.

Comments

Popular Posts